Postdoctoral Fellowship in Microbial/Viral Genomics in Australia, 2019
CSIRO Health & Biosecurity in Australia is seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Microbial/Viral Genomics for 2018/2019 academic year.
The role of the Postdoctoral Fellowship in Microbial/Viral Genomics is a unique opportunity for a skilled and enthusiastic virologist/molecular biologist/geneticist with an interest in wildlife diseases.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for independently carrying out microbiome/virome analyses as well as standard molecular diagnostic of samples from rabbits and hares, with the aim to identify pathogens in deceased animals and understand the microbial/viral diversity in healthy animals.
Owing to the terms of the fellowship, candidates must not have more than 3 years of relevant full time postdoctoral experience.
Your duties/responsibilities will include:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out virome/microbiome analysis, apply specific molecular diagnostic methods to test for known viral pathogens in lagomorphs and their predators, and participate in ongoing studies investigating the molecular epidemiology and evolution of known rabbit pathogens in Australia.
- Liaise with collaborators to organise and participate in sample collection, supervision of students.
Worth of Award
AU$80K – AU$91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as viral/microbial genomics.
- Demonstrated experience working with large bioinformatics datasets, with a focus on virome and/or microbiome analyses.
- Strong demonstrated molecular biology experience, including nucleic acid extractions, PCR, RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, and NGS library preparation.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please load one document which incorporates your address to the selection criteria, a cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your CV (Maximum 5000Kilobytes) via our website at https://jobs.csiro.au/.
Deadline: applications Close 11:59pm AEST, Sunday september 2019